Thursday, January 31, 2008

what a night...

... an adventure to say the least. Jon's team was supposed to have a game tonight at 8:15, and from what I assumed, Jon would be coaching at this game. But when he got home from work shortly after 6:00, it was very apparent that this would not be the case. He had developed a severe migraine and hadn't even made it home without having to pull over to throw up at the side of the road. At first I didn't think too much of it. He gets migraines every now and then, and usually, if he takes some Advil and rests in a dark room for a while, he's able to get over it relatively quickly. Not the case tonight.

As the clock ticked closer and closer to game time, it became very clear that he was in no shape to coach in a brightly lit, very loud and crowded gymnasium. So, it left only one option. I was going to have to step in. YIKES.

Now don't get me wrong. I know basketball well and have played and coached over the years, but nonetheless, my heart was still pounding at the thought of having to lead this team of teenage boys (I'd much rather stick to volleyball when it comes to coaching). Jon quickly muttered the few words of advice he could fit in amongst his heaving, and the rest was up to me. So off I went.

I got to the gym just in time to see the last few minutes of warm-up and spent a few minutes trying to gather my very scattered thoughts. Thankfully I have been to almost every game/tournament of the season, so the guys know me, but it didn't take away from the fact that tonight I couldn't just yell from the stands. And let me tell you... my respect for Jon has deepened immensely after tonight. I had forgotten just how tough coaching can be. Especially at AAA Sr. Boys level. It seemed like the quarters just FLEW by and every time I called a timeout with a million things to say, I would almost completely blank as soon as the guys huddled around me! They were very patient with me and when I seemed to be stumped, someone would pipe up with some helpful feedback or suggestion (did I mention that Jon's got a great team of guys!!)

So anyway... we did end up losing but they played their hearts out and I was really proud of the way they handled themselves. The game was against their biggest rival, Chilliwack Sr., which always seems to make it just that much tougher to swallow . But in spite of it all, they pulled together as much as they could and gave it their best shot. I felt bad for them, having been stuck with me, but hey, what can you do? :) When I apologized to them at the end of the game, they just told me that I had done a good job and that they appreciated me coming and filling in. Now how cool is that? Again I say, a solid bunch of guys :)

Tomorrow night's game is in Abbotsford and all I can say is, Jon better be feeling better by then. I'd like to leave the coaching up to him. I perform much better from the stands :) ...

9 comments:

Naomi said...

Sounds like an exciting time for you, bummer you lost against Chilliwack, I would have liked to see you slaughter them. Hope you have fun tonight from the stands and the guys get some good play experience against this supposedly awesome Abbotsford team.

hailey said...

YOU ARE MY HERO. Is there anything you CAN'T do?! haha This story is awesome. You should be called "SUPER WIFE". Kind of like Superman, but a heck of a lot cooler.

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, you are my hero too! From a proud Sardis Sr alumni... thumbs up to you! Are Harv and Majd playing this year?

Denita Dyck said...

perhaps you should join my coaching staff....?

Bonnie said...

Al-- not sure who Harv is but I know Majd is playing for the Jr. team. He's not in Gr.11 or 12 yet so he isn't on the Sr. team this year.

Anonymous said...

That must have been one intense couple of hours. Dang! All I can say is that someone owes you dinner or something!!! Even though that headache must have stunk... to put it mildly.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I hope Jon feels better too. Way to step in!

Leanne said...

WOW! You're amazing :)

I've been wanting to email you and tell you that since our visit, but the time has got away from me again. You're amazing, and I'm so privileged to have met you and that I get to spend time with you sometimes!
Looking forward to our next visit.

Nini said...

Bonnie, I agree with Hailey...you are a star. I am feeling the need to see your face soon. Come to California!