Thursday, August 07, 2008

3 Years

It feels like just yesterday that I was writing about our 2nd anniversary, and already we're onto #3. As cliche as it sounds, I have to say again how amazingly time flies.

I remember that special day so clearly. It was a scorcher and the morning just couldn't pass quickly enough. I was so eager to get the "show on the road." :) The ceremony was at 2:30 in the afternoon so considering I was wide awake at 6:00am, and we were done hair and make-up by mid morning, the waiting was agony. I don't remember ever having a second thought about the commitment I was about to make. No cold feet. Just incredible joy in knowing I was about to tie the knot with the most unbelievable man I had ever known.
I remember walking up the trail with my Dad, through Minter Gardens, to the bottom of the hillside that looked up to the gorgeous white tent. The sun was shining and I was completely flattered by the many tourists that kept pulling out their cameras and snapping shots of me... complete strangers, but eagerly trying to capture pictures of me on my wedding day. They were so friendly and generous with their compliments. I felt so beautiful and so special. And I remember the proud look on my Dad's face as he stood beside me, holding my arm tightly. Still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.
And then it all began. The guests were seated beneath the big tent and my wonderful friend Leah began my favorite Amos Lee song on her guitar. Time to go. We walked up that long, winding path to the many smiling faces of friends and family.

And then our eyes met. I'll never forget the look on Jon's face as he saw me for the first time that day. A moment that will stay frozen in my mind forever. Through his teary eyes, it was the look of deep love. The kind of love that melted my heart in that instant, and continues to to this day. The kind of love that everyone should get to experience in their lifetime. The kind of love that fills your heart to the brim and spills over the edge. Life felt perfect in that moment.

As many of you can probably relate, the rest of the day was a bit of a blur. From pictures in the gardens, to pictures on the railroad tracks and the basketball court of Rosedale Middle School, to the receiving line before the reception. Greeting the wonderful people that had come to share in our special day. Eating amazing food, enjoying laughter and reminiscent memories during the open mike, and the many speeches and tear-filled thank-you's. The day passed by so quickly even though we didn't get away from the reception til after 10:30pm that night. I didn't want it to end. Such a joy-filled day. Such a sweet, lingering memory.

Three years later, I'm still amazed at how my love for Jon grows deeper and deeper every day. He's my best friend, my comforter, my pillar of strength in times of weakness, my spirit-lifter when I'm feeling down, my buddy, my confidant. He's the smiling face at the end of every day that reminds me of why I can be content in this life. He's God's gift to me.

Jon-- Thank you for choosing me. For investing in me and for loving me when it feels like the world is too much. Thank you for being here no matter what. For walking this journey of life with me. There's no one I'd rather spend my life with. I love you more with every breath.

Happy Anniversary honey.

7 comments:

Jen Glen said...

Beautiful, Bon. Happy Anniversary. You two are definitely included in my favourite people list. We love spending time with you! Love ya sis.

Niki said...

Beautiful...*sigh*...makes me appreciate God's gift to me all the more!

Leanne said...

Bonnie, this post is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your day with us! Happy Anniversary. Hope it is a special one.

Anonymous said...

happy belated anniversary! (you should feel special...my parents anniversary is the same day and i still haven't wished them a happy one...oops) hope your day was special! beautiful pictures! minus aaron looking like an idiot... looking forward to seeing you!

geralyn

Nathan and Melissa said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! You looked stunning on your wedding day!
And yes - we definately need to do a BBQ soon. Have we decided on a day for the fall?

Sally said...

Love it! Our anniversaries are so close! I remember how bummed I was that I couldn't attend your wedding. Who could have known?

The pics are beautiful. So fun to see them again.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

Beautiful post Bonnie! You guys make such an awesome couple!